WHAT IS THE SCIENCE PARTNERSHIP FUND?
The mission of the Science Partnership Fund (SPF) is to pave the way for foundations and corporations to support crowdfunding projects and public events in physics, astronomy and space exploration.
Potentially revolutionary scientific endeavors do not always lend themselves to traditional grant-based funding, and many promising technical innovations are not ready for venture capital investment. Crowdfunding enables the public to help fill this funding gap and participate in the scientific process. With the help of SPF, foundations and corporations can participate in crowdfunding as part of their traditional grant- based model by making financial donations (through public donation matching or one- time gifts) to support scientific initiatives alongside and in partnership with the public.
BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN SCIENTIFIC CROWDFUNDING AND PHILANTHROPY
The Science Partnership Fund facilitates this process by serving as a fiscal sponsor to scientific and educational projects. SPF allows your corporation or foundation to receive the benefits of tax-deductible donations* to projects which have not created their own non-profit organization. As a bonus, your participation will help promote some of the most innovative scientific projects developing around the world.
How does it work? Your corporation or foundation makes a grant to SPF to support a scientific project(s) of your choosing. SPF retains supervision and control as a fiscal sponsor, ensuring that grant funds are used solely for the purposes outlined by the project or event.
*SPF has been recognized by the IRS as a Section 501(c)(3) public charity and an organization to whom donations are deductible. Federal law provides that contributions since its incorporation on December 21, 2015 may quality for the charitable contribution deduction, subject to your personal tax situation.
￼SPF FISCAL SPONSORSHIP BENEFITS ALL PARTIES
1. The benefactor organization receives publicity in a worldwide arena, within a new donor community.
2. The scientific project benefits from the credibility of the sponsoring corporation or foundation, which assures potential donors that the project is of the highest quality and encourages donations.
3. Individual crowdfunding donors enjoy supporting a successful project, and recognize that the chance for success is increased when their donations are being matched or complemented by a respected foundation or corporation.
FOUR PROBLEMS: ONE SOLUTIONS
Previously, there have been four barriers preventing foundations and corporations from sponsoring crowdfunding projects:
1. The timescale involved in getting a donation together—often a year or more—is longer than most crowdfunding campaigns, which typically last three months or less.
2. A substantial amount of time and effort must be invested in locating and evaluating prospective projects.
3. Contract negotiation between corporations or foundations and the individuals or small groups they wish to support is burdensome.
4. Most crowdfunding platforms are private corporations unaffiliated with a nonprofit entity, so there is no tax incentive for such philanthropy.
The Science Partnership Fund solves all four problems simultaneously by developing umbrella agreements with foundations and corporations. These agreements enable SPF to notify partnering philanthropic organizations of any new high-quality crowdfunding projects aligned with their mission. The philanthropic organization may then choose to support it or pass.
BECOME A SPONSOR
To become a foundation or corporate partner, simply contact us and we will send you a questionnaire addressing your philanthropic mission. You will be recognized as a partner on the Science Partnership Fund website, and we will subsequently bring to your attention any relevant crowdfunding campaigns.
￼￼You may then decide to support or decline each campaign as you see fit, with no obligation whatsoever. If you do choose to support a campaign, we will facilitate a grant to that particular campaign. Your name and logo will appear on the crowdfunding campaign, identifying you as a sponsor.
…OR APPLY FOR FISCAL SPONSORSHIP FOR YOUR PROJECT
SPF supports two types of projects:
1. Scientific projects fundraising with one of SPF’s preferred crowdfunding service providers, and seeking a large corporate or foundation sponsor to match public donations.
2. Scientific events and other programs seeking sponsors, to be run as in- house programs of SPF.
To request fiscal sponsorship for either type, simply contact us and we will send you a questionnaire about your project. It does not need to be live or completely finalized, but should be sufficiently developed to provide a realistic description to potential sponsors. There is no fee for the application. If we determine your project is a good candidate for sponsorship, we’ll agree to serve as fiscal sponsor. If a successful match is made, we will create a sponsorship agreement between your organization and SPF, facilitating sponsor donations to your organization.
SPF is a charitable and educational organization run by and for scientists and researchers.
The goal of SPF is to raise awareness and funds around groundbreaking and innovative scientific projects.
SPF has been recognized by the IRS as a Section 501(c)(3) public charity and an organization to whom donations are deductible. Federal law provides that contributions since its incorporation on December 21, 2015 may quality for the charitable contribution deduction, subject to your personal tax situation. Sponsorships are subject to a 10% administrative and processing fee.
For more information please contact us at:
Science Partnership Fund
225 South Lake Avenue, Suite 300
Pasadena, CA 91101